While you are welcome to bring your dog to our adoption events, please know that they are usually a very stressful situation for the dogs in our care and for your current pets. There’s lots of movement and noise which can sometimes agitate the dogs in their crates. We do understand the value of having new siblings get along though, and can arrange for a meeting in a more quiet area of the store when available. Otherwise, we suggest that when adding a new member to your pack that you follow these guidelines.
- Introduce the dogs on neutral ground. A green space, dog park, or other such place that isn’t a place your current dog frequents.
- Before introduction, make sure both dogs have had plenty of exercise.
- Allow the dogs to meet on leash first.
We encourage all of our adopters to send photos and videos to email@example.com. We will share these with previous foster families/volunteers and to our Facebook page. We love a good success story for these animals….don’t hesitate to share!
We LOVE our foster families! Thank you so much for considering fostering dogs and/or cats in our care. Should you like to begin the process, please complete our foster application here. Our foster coordinator will follow up with you as soon as possible.
Thank you for choosing 4 Paws 4 Life Rescue & Boarding to adopt a rescue pet!
There are two ways to adopt from 4P4L. You can choose to attend and adoption event and choose your new pet there. Or, you can online pre-adopt and simply pickup your new pet at our adoption event. Online pre-adoptions are encouraged to ensure you get the dog of your choice.
All Potential adopters must complete an online adoption application to be considered as an adopter with 4P4L. Approval as an adopter does not guarantee an adoption or a hold of a particular pet. Please be advised that we cannot guarantee online adoptions when processed during the hours of an adoption event.
Online pre-adoptions are for families who find a dog on our website and fall in love instantly.
- Complete the adoption application.
- Within 72 hours of receiving the completed form, our Adoption Coordinator will communicate with you to confirm the status of your application and begin the adoption process.
- When an approved adopter wishes to finalize an adoption online, they must complete the adoption fee donation. (For pre-adoptions processed online, we accept credit and debit cards.)
- The Adoption Coordinator will then be in touch with pickup instructions.
If you are unable to commit to a forever furry family member at this time, you can still help animals in need. Below are just a few ways we’d be ever-so-thankful that you helped:
- Volunteer at our boarding facility or during adoption events. Our dogs love to get petting and snuggle time!
- Volunteer to transport dogs from our facility to our veterinarian’s office.
- Volunteer to foster. Fostering can be for one night, one week, or longer….it’s up to you.
- Be a Whelping Foster. This is a foster who takes in dogs who are new mommies or mommies-to-be. We provide the food, medications, vaccines, and you provide a loving home for a litter of pups until they are 8 weeks old and ready for adoption.
- We couldn’t operate at all without the help of our donors. Consider a donation to our 501(c)3 organization. Even the smallest amounts help in large ways. Donate here.
- Have photography skills? We always need great pics of our cuties to get them pre-adopted online…we’d love to have you come by our boarding facility and take a few shots.
Our main focus is to keep dogs and cats out of high-kill shelters. The vast majority of the animals in our care have come from some of the poorest shelters in the country. We transport them into our care to begin a new life in a loving home. Often times we are at full capacity and cannot take owner surrenders. However, if you have to relinquish a pet, we will assess on a case by case basis.
4P4L is funded by our amazing donors, corporate grants, and our fabulous adopters as we are a non-profit 501(c)3 organization. In order to report our work throughout the year to our donors, we track how many animals we are able to save in various categories. Three of these categories you will see on our website:
Heart to Heart, White Whiskers, and TLC.
Our Heart to Heart program is for dogs who are in high-kill shelters who’ve tested positive for Heartworm. We are able to save those dogs by transporting them into our care and treating them. Thanks to individual donors and corporate grants, we are able to treat these dogs at no cost to their forever families even after adoption!
Our White Whiskers program is for dogs and cats who are in high-kill shelters who are seniors. The sad truth is that most adopters aren’t willing to adopt these more experienced pets. We are happy to try to place those animals in loving families instead of having them live there’s lives out in a shelter.
Our TLC program is probably our most utilized source of funds. Many of the dogs and cats in our care have come to us after a major injury or illness. When a pet needs surgery, medication, or amputation to save their life, we are happy to do just that.
If you would like to give to any of our three programs, please do so by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and using our donate page.
In a perfect world, none of our adoptable dogs or cats would ever get ill. Sadly, that’s just not the case. While we make every effort to ensure their wellness with vaccinations and sanitary housing conditions, we cannot make any guarantees.
If you notice any signs or symptoms of illness immediately after adoption, please email Tina at email@example.com. She will contact you in a timely manner. Some signs to watch for are lethargy, vomiting, excessive diarrhea, not eating/drinking.
For emergencies only, please call (303) 921-7586 and leave a message. The voicemail is monitored frequently. We will only respond to emergencies.
- We suggest you arrive about 30 minutes before the event if you have a particular dog/cat in mind.
- On arrival, add your name to the ‘Sign in sheet’.
- Using your smart phone or one of our tablets, complete the adoption application (if you’ve not already done so prior to your arrival).
- When your name is called, you can visit the available dogs. You must complete the application prior to visiting the available dogs.
- An event volunteer will review your application with you.
- When an approved adopter wishes to finalize an adoption at our events, the adoption fee may be processed using your choice of cash, credit or debit.
Because some of our dogs are harder to place due to age, size, breed, or color (crazy but true), we offer trial adoptions on some of our pets.
This means we can offer a trial adoption of 2 weeks should you like to see how your new pet fits into your family before fully committing. After the 2 week trial, you’ll have the option to return the dog for a full refund of your donation or keep your pup as a forever family member. This is only for certain dogs in our care and does not apply to puppies.
While 4P4L will cover the cost of the spay/neuter surgery when you use our veterinarian, the state of CO mandates that any animal leaving our care without being altered first must have a $100 spay/neuter deposit on file. This is an “insurance” deposit, if you will, to ensure that the adopters bring the dog back to have the surgery. So long as the surgery is completed within 90 days of adoption, an adopter will send the spay/neuter certificate to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can process a refund of the deposit.
Our adoption events are held at the Lakewood Petco, 475 S Wadsworth Blvd. We have Friday events from 4-7pm and Saturday events from 11-1pm. Should these times/days change due to weather or emergency, a note will be posted on our website.
We have partnered with a company named Petstablished to manage our animal’s medical charts and files. When you apply for adoption, you are actually creating a sign-in for Petstablished. After adoption, you’ll use the same sign in to see files and vaccine information about your new pet.
Adoption fees vary depending on age and breed of our cats and dogs. Fees include vaccines up until time of adoption, microchip, spay/neuter and 1st 30 days of free Pet insurance from a third party vendor.